The Wewelsburg castle stands on the northern end of a small plateau, between the German cities Hamm and Paderborn. Its present shape dates back to the Renaissance (1603 - 1609 CE), while some parts are built later. The last occupants left the castle during the Thirty Years’ War (1618-1648 CE), and new residents never arrived. The castle has the shape of a triangle based around a nigth century round medieval donjon (Tower).
The plateau contains two other buildings, a Roman Catholic church and a smaller building that belongs to the castle. The village was always served by a monk from a nearby monastery, but around 1700 CE the bishop of Paderborn resolved to appoint a parish priest. Because the village had never had a parish priest, there was no vicarage. When the first parish priest arrived, he took up his residence in the southern wing of the castle.
This situation remained unchanged for over two centuries, until Himmler, nicknamed Reichsheini, became interested in the Wewelsburg. He wanted a religious centre, something like St.Peter’s in Rome or the Temple of Jerusalem.