The flag was presented by Hitler to the SA at the Party Rally held at Weimar on 4 July 1926 and was from that time known as the Blutfahne.
Hitler used it to consecrated new party colors by touching them with one hand while holding the Blutfahne with the other. It was presented to the SS for safekeeping 9 Nov 1926, an indication of the importance of the SS as a small but dedicated and faithful organisation in contrast to the SA. Joseph Berchtold, the leader of the SS at the time, selected Trambauer to once again carry the banner, but due to ill health, Trambauer was not always able to carry the Blutfahne. Accordingly Berchtonld requested Jacob Grimminger to help and they would be the dual carriers of the Blutfahne. Trambauer received a fractured skull during a street fight with Communists and never recovered, though he lived until 1942, and Grimminger became the sole bearer of the Blutfahne.